Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Road trip Day 1 Colorado --> Wyoming

On May 1st, Judi picked me up in Westminster and we started our road trip across the US!

Day 1 was mostly Colorado and Wyoming. Now, whenever I spoke of the road trip and our proposed route, I often heard things along the lines of "Ugh, and you'll have to go through Wyoming… boring." Let me now respond to those people: 

I. Loved. Wyoming. 

It is wild, it is desolate, and it is incredibly beautiful. My photos do not do it justice in the slightest. It was the first place I've been to that reminded me of Northumberland (UK) at times. 

The first night, Judi had found a motel in Dubois to stay in which brought us within 25 miles of the Tetons. After a nightmare of an experience in Phoenix, Arizona years ago where I stayed in a dingy, smelly hotel on my own where I swear-to-god someone had been either extremely violated or possibly killed (coupled with growing up watching American movies where the Bad Things always seem to happen in motels) I am someone who is very wary of motels in general. But they're a lot cheaper than hotels and, after Dubois, I know now that not all of them are creepy. This one was actually super clean and lovely! Yay! And they had a microwave in the office where they let me heat up food I'd prepared earlier in the day at Acacia's house. Nice. 

We went to have a drink in one of the two bars in town, and it was weird. There were a lot of dead animals on the walls. A lot. I guess it's a hunting culture, so I don't judge it at all. It was just different. 

Off we go! 10am, May 1st

Judi took this for me as I was driving. This is Colorado still. 

Eez velly vindy

Oil refinery and town

COWS

I honestly don't know how people don't find this stunning. 

Fun with my fish eye lens app! Our wee ''DoodleBug"

DoodleBug and Judi

Sinks Canyon. The river disappears under ground. 


Sinks Canyon

After a long day driving, Rachel is so happy to have a Smithwicks (!) that she grows antlers.

Ok fine they weren't my antlers. 

My feedback. I am the TRAIL BOSS.

"Is it real?"



No comments:

Post a Comment