This post is a few days late - I'm actually in Wyoming now (more on that once I've caught up!) - but I wanted to do a wee post about my day exploring Denver Art Museum on April 25th, which locals call DAM, which I think is great.
I got the number 6 bus from Westminster, which took an hour and 20 minutes into the city, and on my way I saw a prairie dog! Which I was super excited about but apparently they're considered vermin and a nuisance in Westminster. Oh well. I had a nice wee chat with my bus driver too:
"Do you need a transfer ticket?"
"Uh, I don't think so…"
"Well, take one, in case you feel like a transfer later!"
Some signs I saw on the way:
An auto-repair shop called Butts that had a sign "Butts has gas!"
A comic book shop called "Mile High Comics" (which I thought Stef would like)
Also… buses in Denver have bike racks on the front. Which I think is p-retty cool.
So here are some pics from my day exploring on my own. I decided it was an Artist Date day.
One thing I found interesting while meandering around Capital Hill on my way to DAM - every now and then the breeze would waft two scents and two scents only my way - the smell of beautiful cheery blossom trees and the bang of weed. Here's to you, Colorado! No-one is supposed to smoke this (legal) stuff outdoors here, but they do. All the time. In front of cops. Cops who I saw stop, look at the offenders, tell them to move their dogs, (who were not supposed to be sitting in the flower beds) and then move on. Fabulous.
After DAM I walked around and got a bit lost and ate some Pho and finally went to a Tourist Information Center to ask where I could get the number 6 back to Westminster, as I'd forgotten where I'd gotten off. The lady was super helpful but told me that the next bus wouldn't be for another hour. I asked her if she had any recommendations for killing the time, and (bear in mind I was within a few blocks of several museums, the Denver Center for Performing Arts - which houses several theaters and shops - a busy shopping area, and some really cool book shops) - this was her cheery answer: "It's happy hour! Have a drink!"
I got the number 6 bus from Westminster, which took an hour and 20 minutes into the city, and on my way I saw a prairie dog! Which I was super excited about but apparently they're considered vermin and a nuisance in Westminster. Oh well. I had a nice wee chat with my bus driver too:
"Do you need a transfer ticket?"
"Uh, I don't think so…"
"Well, take one, in case you feel like a transfer later!"
Some signs I saw on the way:
An auto-repair shop called Butts that had a sign "Butts has gas!"
A comic book shop called "Mile High Comics" (which I thought Stef would like)
Also… buses in Denver have bike racks on the front. Which I think is p-retty cool.
So here are some pics from my day exploring on my own. I decided it was an Artist Date day.
One thing I found interesting while meandering around Capital Hill on my way to DAM - every now and then the breeze would waft two scents and two scents only my way - the smell of beautiful cheery blossom trees and the bang of weed. Here's to you, Colorado! No-one is supposed to smoke this (legal) stuff outdoors here, but they do. All the time. In front of cops. Cops who I saw stop, look at the offenders, tell them to move their dogs, (who were not supposed to be sitting in the flower beds) and then move on. Fabulous.
| It smells like cherry blossoms here! |
| It smells like weed here! |
| Ok this is a squirrel eating a pb&j sandwich with BOTH HANDS. LIKE A HUMAN CHILD. Oh man I nearly fainted from the cuteness. |
| Day-um! |
| I might have this mixed up with the other painting below, but I'm pretty sure this is a Joan Mitchell, and boasts the amazing title: George Went Swimming at Barnes Hole, But It Got Too Cold. (1957) |
| I cannot remember this woman's name, but her art was awesome. (That's hers just below too) |
| Urm… can't remember. One of the famous Modern Masters. I just love it. Oh I think it's an Elaine de Kooning. |
| Vertigo-inducing staircase design. |
| HUGH KNIVES ON THE WALL. I want this in my restaurant kitchen. |
| Marie Watt - Blanket Story. A totem pole of local resident's donated blankets. Attached to each was the story of each blanket. It was quite moving, reading some of them. |
| A still from Nick Cave's 'Sojourn' with dancers in his Sound Suits. |
| Bit'o'Denver |
| Bit more Denver. This was actually taken another day. |
| So was this. Bit more Denver. Yes, there are even hiking trails within the city. Pretty freaking awesome. |
After DAM I walked around and got a bit lost and ate some Pho and finally went to a Tourist Information Center to ask where I could get the number 6 back to Westminster, as I'd forgotten where I'd gotten off. The lady was super helpful but told me that the next bus wouldn't be for another hour. I asked her if she had any recommendations for killing the time, and (bear in mind I was within a few blocks of several museums, the Denver Center for Performing Arts - which houses several theaters and shops - a busy shopping area, and some really cool book shops) - this was her cheery answer: "It's happy hour! Have a drink!"
No comments:
Post a Comment