And on… to Red Rocks!
First, we had a little ol' dance on the stage. As tradition dictates. If you're a performing artist of any kind, I think it must be a Thing You Do: Do Your Thing on Stage at Red Rocks, just so you can say you did your Thing on Stage at Red Rocks.
There were some puddles on the stage made warm by the sun, so next off came our shoes and we proceeded to play in the puddles, making puddle art with hands and feet (her) and splashing people accidentally while trying to make cool puddle explosions (me).
The men working backstage had the radio playing pop songs, there was sun, it was warm, we were barefoot and playing and creating and dancing, and I felt like I was on top of the world.
After a while one of the stage hands called over to us: "Hey! You ladies making art?" (What a line. #love)
"Yup!" we replied with smiles.
"Would you do me a favor? Come over here."
… he then opened up a padlock on a little tin box at stage right, and gestured inside. It was full of different colors of chalk. ''Go wild!" said he, with twinkling eyes, before disappearing back into whatever constitutes backstage at Red Rocks.
So we did. We must have spent most of the next hour happily drawing all over the Red Rocks stage. We offered chalk to children and adults who looked curious, but no-one took us up on the offer to have fun drawing on this massive canvas. Which is a shame, I think. The children were too shy and the adults just flat out denied their own inner children, even after muttering to friends ''oooh, I'd love to do that" and promptly being offered chalk of their own.
But I didn't linger on it. Their loss. I was having too much fun.
Here's us being children and adults and creatives and dancers all at once.
I took a little video. Kind of perfect that Pharrell's song 'Happy' is playing in the background, don't you think?
First, we had a little ol' dance on the stage. As tradition dictates. If you're a performing artist of any kind, I think it must be a Thing You Do: Do Your Thing on Stage at Red Rocks, just so you can say you did your Thing on Stage at Red Rocks.
There were some puddles on the stage made warm by the sun, so next off came our shoes and we proceeded to play in the puddles, making puddle art with hands and feet (her) and splashing people accidentally while trying to make cool puddle explosions (me).
The men working backstage had the radio playing pop songs, there was sun, it was warm, we were barefoot and playing and creating and dancing, and I felt like I was on top of the world.
After a while one of the stage hands called over to us: "Hey! You ladies making art?" (What a line. #love)
"Yup!" we replied with smiles.
"Would you do me a favor? Come over here."
… he then opened up a padlock on a little tin box at stage right, and gestured inside. It was full of different colors of chalk. ''Go wild!" said he, with twinkling eyes, before disappearing back into whatever constitutes backstage at Red Rocks.
So we did. We must have spent most of the next hour happily drawing all over the Red Rocks stage. We offered chalk to children and adults who looked curious, but no-one took us up on the offer to have fun drawing on this massive canvas. Which is a shame, I think. The children were too shy and the adults just flat out denied their own inner children, even after muttering to friends ''oooh, I'd love to do that" and promptly being offered chalk of their own.
But I didn't linger on it. Their loss. I was having too much fun.
Here's us being children and adults and creatives and dancers all at once.
| Meg dances |
| My explosion puddles and Meg. |
| Drawing around her footprints before they evaporated. |
| My scorpion puddle |
| Pnitty flowers! |
| You can see our artwork all the way from the top of the amphitheater! |
| I left a note of gratitude when we dropped our chalk back. |
I took a little video. Kind of perfect that Pharrell's song 'Happy' is playing in the background, don't you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment